Thursday, June 2, 2011

Am I a Boring Dog Walker?

On a daily basis, I have the privilege of spending time with four dogs who make up a lovely pack; Dexter, Bogart, Bruno, and Doobie. Each one of them is a sufficient watch dog, so to say there's a lot of commotion and excitement upon my arrival is an understatement! However, amongst all of the barking, there's a sound that I've just recently begun to notice. After a couple of barks, Dexter will yawn. And yawn. And yawn! At first I thought it was a fluke. But sure enough, I’m greeted daily with a whole bunch of barks and a couple of yawns.

Am I really that boring of a dog walker??

In hopes that no one else felt that way, today I decided to make note of any yawning upon my arrival. My day began with Kelsey the poodle. As usual, when I picked up her leash she acted silly, bouncing up and down. And as I patiently waited for her to settle, to my surprise, she let out a big, loud yawn! Ah-ha! Apparently Dexter isn't the only one!

And it didn't stop there. Next I visited Gracie and Petunia. As soon as I went towards Gracie's crate, she yawned. When I stopped by Solo’s house for a walk, he greeted me with a big, loud yawn. And sure enough when I returned home, my two dogs greeted me at the door. Tails wagging and mouths open wide…yawning!

Well I might as well hang up my leash now, because apparently I’m a boring dog walker!

Fortunately, that's not actually the case. Dogs don't yawn for the same reasons that we do. For dogs, yawning is referred to as a calming signal and in many cases, is used to cope with excitement. A yawn fills their lungs with air and boosts their brain with oxygen and increases their heart rate. When I walk through the door, all of these dogs are excited and anticipate a walk and a good time. To get ready for action, they yawn! So it turns out I’m not a boring dog walker after all… I’m actually quite fun!

Studies also suggest that yawning is contagious and can be used as a way to calm your dog down. In theory, you can yawn at your dog and he'll yawn back, making him more relaxed. Well, I just yawned about 15 times in front of my dog Elsa and she just stared at me as if I were crazy. So apparently my yawns aren't contagious...but at least I'm not a boring dog walker!

4 comments:

wewalkdogs said...

In this day and age of alternative professions, you can consider taking up a job that is cool, relaxed and fun. Dog walking is an activity which has no chances of stressing you out. If you are a dog-lover you can spend time with dogs, at the same time ensuring that you get some exercise of your own.

Dog Walking Richmond Hill

Dog Walking Service said...

nice post bro..

tanu sharma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...